Thursday, February 17, 2011

You've got to Stand for Something

Better late than never, but I am finally blogging about my last day at the North American Farmers Direct Marketing Conference. In my previous blog, I mentioned an inspirational speaker named Brad, who taught a day long workshop about bringing lighted-heartedness into the work place. As the opening speaker on Thursday, he had the whole room laughing and ready for the day ahead. At one point, we even gave a standing ovation to a lady who was returning from the restroom. This made her day! Remember...whether you are at a conference or on your farms, you can make someones day...help them create a story!
After a morning full of laughter, I attended my first session. Once again folks, I am preaching about the use of social media! IT IS NOT GOING AWAY...YOU NEED TO BE USING IT! Facebook, Twitter, Four Square, and Blogs are the new newspaper. One point that I found very interesting is that if you are not using these to advertise your business, someone else is. Who would you rather have telling about your business you or someone else? I know word of mouth is the best tool, but you need to monitor what is being said. Four Square may be the newest of the four forms of social media I just mentioned. Four Square allows individuals to earn "badges" for the places they attend. For example, if I visit your farm, the GPS setting on my phone would know that I am there and I would earn points for being at "Elm Grove Farm." The individual who visits the most will be named the mayor of that location. If nothing else, go on Four Square and register your business, so people are not registering it for you.

BONUS IDEA: When people visit your farm...take a picture of the family in front of your sign. Make sure your contact information is also on your sign. Tell the family the picture is free to them. You post it on Facebook. They have to "like" your page to see it and then they will tag themselves on it. Not only do you get more fans on your page, but also all their friends see the "Jones" Family having a great time at your farm!

The final session I attended was a story about making decisions on your farm. The main points that I took from this workshop:
1. It's okay to disagree with the experts. It is your farm, sometimes your gut instinct is correct.
2. Stand up for what is right. In the example this farmer gave, the town was trying to regulate what he could sell in his market. He fought against this and won and now has a very successful business.

Now it is time to take this home to the beautiful mountains of West Virginia. Goodbye city life! Look for us to share our agritourism ideas at the West Virginia Small Farms Conference!

No comments:

Post a Comment