Sunday, February 6, 2011

Goodbye Skinny Jeans....Hello Agritourism!!!

After having fresh pineapple and bagels at Reading Market, my first experience with Apple Cider donuts, and wonderful lasagna at Johnsons Corner Farm, I am truly convinced of two things. First of all, if I eat like this everyday I am going to need a whole new wardrobe, and secondly, WV farmers need to sell Apple Cider Donuts!

My morning began with breakfast at the Reading Market. I was fortunate this morning to get to sit at a table from a gentleman who does Pick Your Own outside of London, England. He was great to talk to.Then, it was on to Shady Brook Farms. It was incredible to see beautiful blooming flowers in the middle of winter. The market managers also did an incredible job preparing special exhibits to highlight their holiday items. Within the market, customers not only find a functional gardening center, but they also offer wine tasting. Below is a picture of some of the beautiful flowers that were growing in the garden center. The market had a beautiful layout. Everything was clearly labeled, and they offered several value added products.










Terhune Farms has a lot to offer their guest. The number one thing...Apple Cider Donuts. Okay, they offered a lot more than that. I was really impressed about the programs this farm sets up for children. It was really exciting to hear about their farm day camp programs, treasure and scavenger hunts, read and pick, and many other programs for children. They have a bakery, market, and produce many fresh fruits and vegetables. Their labeling system for products was fantastic. Within the market if the product is something grown on the farm it is marked with a red tag, if it is organic it has a green tag, and other purchase produce has a yellow tag. This allows consumers to easily identify locally grown products. They also focus on an open door policy. The doors to the cleaning and grading room is left open, so customers can see the produce being washed. The owners of the farm were very welcoming and gave a great tour!

Johnsons Corner Farm provided us with delicious lasagna for lunch. This operation is incredible. They have two separate trails, one for the public and one for school children. The family operates a pick your own operation and holds different festivals and events. They reminded me how important it is to use your resources. The farm has limited parking, but they are across the road from the local high school. They let the high school use their parking during games and other events. The high school then lets them use the over 200 space parking lot to accommodate their guest during festivals and other events. The whole farm is beautiful with all the buildings painted to match their theme. Each visitor has the opportunity to have a hay ride to pick their own crops. The barn style market and gift shop is a definite must see. Below you can see a picture of the center pieces from dinner.










Finally, Cindy and I had the opportunity to visit the Liberty Bell. I also got to see the foundation of the house where our first two presidents lived. It's very humbling to be in a place that is so important to our American history. With that said, below is a picture of Cindy and I at the Liberty Bell. You will notice that I have taught the Cindy the official pageant pose! In case you are wondering who I am cheering for in the Super Bowl...I would have to say the Packers. Neither team in the Super Bowl is my usual NFL team. It is with deep regret that I have to admit my team has always been the Dallas Cowboys. Embargoing after this past season. But, between the Packers and Steelers, I choose the Packers due to an incident last year when the Steelers game was shone in place of my usual Dancing With the Stars. I still hold the grudge. Which would you rather see a Hail Mary to the inzone or the Cha Cha Cha? I think it is very obvious which is better! With that said, tomorrow we travel our way pack to Baltimore, and I am looking forward to our next visits. Sweetdreams from Philadelphia!














.

1 comment:

  1. Okay...so you can tell I was tired when I wrote last nights blog. Wow! Many grammar and typing errors! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete