Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"Don't tell me what you learned. Tell me how you are going to act differently" -Drucker

Do you remember as a kid when you did something wrong how your mom and dad would ask if you were ever going to do it again, and you always replied, "No?" Five minutes later as soon as they turned around you would do it again. It is so easy for us to say we are going to do something, but to actually match our actions with our words tends to be a challenge. Today our speaker, Dr. Richard J. George, offered some excellent advice and inspiration to the participants in this years conference. His workshop, "Get Close and Stay Close With Your Customers," talked about what customers are looking for, how to maintain customer satisfaction, and why the small markets and agritourism farms have the advantage over large businesses. He said, "If Mike Tyson came up and asked you how you wanted to settle a fight, you would not say boxing...you would challenge him to chess." Small businesses have to know their strengths and use them to their advantage. It may be impossible to compete with Wal-Mart prices, but the farmers market offers something different. Don't just sell the product, sell the experience!

This morning I attended and judged the website, radio jingle, and TV commercial contest. Each attendee was allowed to submit a ballot. It was a consensus among the crowd that websites are no longer an option, they are a necessity. Did you know: The average person spends 5 HOURS A DAY using social media. No folks, this is not a misprint. We must be advertising our businesses through social media. Facebook, Twitter, Google Map, Blog Spot, You Tube, etc...these are your resources...USE THEM! When it comes to any kind of advertising remember it is first important to choose your target audience. I noticed today that the people from different generations had different opinions concerning which websites, radio jingles, and TV commercials should win. When you are advertising make sure to uphold the aesthetics of your business. I enjoyed the websites that were created in such a way that when I clicked on them I got the same feeling I would if I were actually at the farm.

I attended two round table discussions today. The first round table discussion was on cook books. There was one great idea that stuck out in my mind. Wine Pairing Cookbooks. The wineries are working to make cookbooks that include foods that can easily be paired with their wines. This would be a great item for wineries to market with their products. Also, many businesses pair wine tasting with luncheons or dinners. Two programs that were mentioned today were "Wine and Dines" and "Relax and Un-Wine." For the "Relax and Un-Wine" program, the owner paired with a yoga instructor to teach a class and then have a tasting. BE CREATIVE! The second round table I attended was about Agritourism Ideas. I think I will save that one until after my workshop at the WV Small Farms Conference. There are many great ideas I have to share! Sneak Peak: One of my favorite ideas...CORN SAND BOXES. Instead of sand, you fill a box with corn and provide the kids with shovels and toy farm equipment!

Tomorrow, I have a full day workshop called "Laugh-O-Nomics." I am not sure what this will include, but it should be entertaining.

Good Night from Charm City!

No comments:

Post a Comment