Saturday, February 5, 2011

Agritourism Tour...Aye?

When Lincoln wrote the Gettysburg address, he began the speech by talking about the journey our country had taken since the Revolutionary War. Today, I started my own journey upon the "Gettysburg Express" to learn more about agritourism. My day began with a buffet style breakfast. This may seem like a normal conference activity, but for me it was my first chance to hear someone from Canada use the popular phrase, "Aye." I may have been slightly over excited about this. (Jeanie, if you are reading this...don't worry I did not embarrass the state by saying something like "you just said Aye.") Another highlight to my breakfast was being asked if I was a coal miners daughter after they realized I grew up in West Virginia. I had a great time meeting and talking with new people!

Our first stop on our way to Philadelphia was Butlers Orchard. This was a interesting place with a lot to offer their customers. Not only does the orchard have their own farmer's market, but they also have pick your own, a bakery, and events that are held annually. Many times farmers in the agritourism industry struggle to find activities in the spring. Butlers Orchard holds "Bunnyland" each year to bring visitors to the farm at this time of year. Of course kids can expect to see the Easter bunny and participate in egg hunts, but there also many more agriculture activities to get everyone involved in. Apparently, tube slides are a very popular attraction. The owners and employees were very hospitable and offered all snacks and drinks. This is a great place to visit!

CRUMLAND FARMS...THIS WAS SO COOL!!!





I think it is incredible how they use a piece of old farm equipment to create something that would be attractive to children, but teach them about the equipment at the same time. On the back side of the picture above, they have cut out a hole and a slide goes down the back. It has all the controls inside for the children to see. West Virginia Farmers, how many of you have old, obsolete equipment that is rusting in the field? I really love that this farm does a Christmas light show. Their Christmas light pig and horse were on display for us to see. They also have a 4th of July event, as well as many others. They had a great playground and just really used their resources well.

I actually heard Abraham Lincoln speak today! Okay, so it may have been an impersonator, but he was still incredibly knowledgeable about our 16th President's life. Our next stop along the way was Gettysburg Visitor Center. I was really sad to not be able to spend more time here. We had lunch at the visitor center, but did not have time to tour. On the bus I did win a prize, because I answered the most questions correctly about the Gettysburg Address!

Our final stop on the tour was Adams Winery. Some unique things about this winery are the classes they provide. They offer both wine tasting and wine making classes. They have a tasting area and a nice gift shop. The people here are very friendly. They also have a designer on site to make personalized labels for the wine. GREAT FOR WEDDINGS! A picture of the bride and groom with there wedding theme on a bottle of wine make great value added products! They also have a rescue dog that greets people. They were very friendly and informative.

I am now at the Marriott here in Philadelphia. We are right across from the Reading Market. This market is huge. There is lots of food and lots of chocolate. The one downfall would definitely be whole cooked ducks (complete with their heads) hanging in the market. I guess this WV girl is going to have to teach them how to field dress a duck! :-) (I know they are supposed to be that way). Until tomorrow...goodbye from Philadelphia!

No comments:

Post a Comment